All across the Maya landscape, in recent years, new stelae have been planted. This blog focuses on two: one from Maní in the far northern lowlands, and one from the highlands of Guatemala at Iximche’.
U Yits’ Ca’an “the dew of heaven” is an agricultural school dedicated to organic, natural food production.
To mark the foundation of the school, director Atilano Ceballos commissioned a stela.
The dedication, in glyphs, is translated to Yucatec . . .
1000 kilometers to the south, at historic Iximche’ . . .
is a Kaqchikel stela at the entrance to the archaeological site. The stela project was organized by the Kaqchikel organization “Kaqchikel Winäq.” Pakal B’alam Rodriguez wrote the text in Kaqchikel and made the first glyph version. Q’aq’awitz Igor Xoyón, with the help of Iyaxel Cojti, made the final version in glyphs. The sculptor was Emerson Chicol.
In a remarkable demonstration of epigraphic skills, the history of Iximche’ is told in the Kaqchikel language using Classic Maya glyphs.
The front side begins with the creation at 4 Ajpu 8 Kumk’u’ and leads up to the arrival of the Spaniards.
Side 2 covers colonial history up to 2012 and the completion of 13 Bak’tuns. A modern-day Rosetta Stone, three languages presented in parallel: Classic Mayan, contemporary Kaqchikel, and contemporary Spanish.